Who we are
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. We trace our roots back more than 200 years, but we became the company you know today in 1982 with the merger of INA Corporation and Connecticut General Corporation. Ever since, we’ve continued to innovate and expand around the world. We have sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and more than 90 million customer relationships throughout the world. Our more than 39,000 employees serve customers just about everywhere.
Every day, our team works together with our customers in ways they find proactive, personal and empathetic. That spirit of true partnership goes deeper than paying claims, and is often life-changing — helping customers stay well, prevent sickness, obtain access to health care, recover from illness or injury, return to work and provide for their families. Worldwide, we offer our customers and their families peace of mind and a sense of security. We’re with them all the way, through the most critical points in their lives.
What we do
We work together with customers to help them lead a healthy, secure life. We provide customers with personally relevant products and services, and we help customers reduce health costs and achieve optimal health outcomes.
What partnership means
A partner makes things simpler: As advocates for our customers, our team helps navigate an often confusing health care or insurance system so customers get the care and financial protection they need. We understand our customers as individuals, so we can help them achieve what’s most important to them.
A partner helps you make better choices: Cigna puts the power of information in our customers’ hands. We provide information our customers need to improve their health, identify and fill gaps in their health, well-being and security needs, and maximize value.
A partner cares about outcomes: We collaborate with our vast network of health care professionals and our other colleagues around the world to ensure all our customers obtain quality, cost-effective health care, benefits and insurance protection.
Facts About Cigna
$38 billion in revenues
Ranked 90 on the 2015 Fortune 500 list
$12 billion in shareholders’ equity
$2.3 billion in adjusted income from operations
90 million customer relationships around the world
Assets of $57 billion
More than 39,000 employees worldwide
- 15 million global medical customers
- 83% of commercial medical customers are in employer self-insured funding arrangements
- More than 2 million customers are served through collaborative relationships in combined Commercial and Seniors businesses
- 158 million medical claims processed in 2015
- 13 million covered by dental
- 8 million covered by Group Disability
- 7.5 million covered by Group Life
- Medicare Advantage plans in 15 states and D.C.
- 1.2 million Medicare prescription drug customers
- Medicare prescription drug plans in all 50 states
- Sales capability in approximately 30 countries and jurisdictions
- U.S. service centers available 24/7/365 for medical and dental plan customers
- Global network includes more than 1 million relationships with health care professionals, clinics and facilities including:
- 96,000 participating behavioral health care professionals and 12,500 facilities and clinics
- 70,000 contracted pharmacies
- 76,700 vision health care providers in more than 26,100 locations
- 140,000 Dental PPO professionals, 20,300 Dental HMO professionals
- Recognized as a top 100 company on CR Magazine’s 2015 and 2016 list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens
Get access to Cigna’s financial reports and filings, including stock information.
Explore career opportunities and share in the reinvention of health care.
Our unique approach and initiatives to support a healthier world.