The Philanthropic Connection. Cigna believes that investing in the health of our communities directly connects with our overall success. The Cigna Foundation is an important part of that strategy.
This independent, charitable entity focuses its giving on nonprofit organizations that empower people to make healthy choices in every aspect of their lives.
The Cigna Foundation makes grants to charitable organizations that work in innovative ways to achieve one or more of these goals:
- Promote Wellness—enabling individuals and families to take responsibility for their own health
- Expand Opportunities—making health information and services available to all
- Develop Leaders—leveraging education and life experiences to promote personal and professional growth
- Embrace Communities—encouraging shared approaches to issues of local and global concern
Addressing Health Challenges
The thread that ties our goals together is health—personal health and community health. Our approach is to connect with nonprofit organizations who share our commitment to helping make quality health services broadly available and our belief in the power of individuals to make that happen. Here are some examples:
- Our grant to the American Indian College Fund is enabling 10 Native college students to train for health careers through the Cigna Foundation Tribal Scholars Healthcare Program.
- Cigna's GO YOU Awards recognize individuals who have started, or substantially grown, nonprofit organizations that serve the health needs of diverse communities. Our first designee was Susan Hester, whose Mautner Project—which provides health support to women who partner with other women—received a Cigna Foundation grant.
- The Cigna Foundation Equal Justice Works Fellowship supports early career attorneys who have developed innovative projects that help address the needs of those who face legal hurdles related to their personal medical or health situation.
- The Cigna Foundation's long-time support of the Malta House of Care has helped their Mobile Medical Clinic provide screenings, diagnostic testing and other services to underserved neighbors in our corporate headquarters region.
Realizing the Dream
Cigna was the first health service company to make a $1 million donation to the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial Foundation. This tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. makes respect for others a value we pass on to future generations. We invite everyone to share our pride in seeing the Cigna name permanently displayed on the Memorial's Donor Wall. Please visit the MLK Memorial website at MLKMemorial.org for more information.
Encouraging Service and Giving
The Cigna Foundation funds several permanent programs that enhance the volunteer efforts and charitable giving of the Cigna team.
- Community Caring Awards. This program recognizes the volunteer service Cigna employees provide outside their working hours. The basic award is the $200 "Grant for Givers," going to organizations where employees regularly volunteer. Volunteer of the Month and Volunteer of the Year designees are selected from among Grants for Givers participants. Team Volunteer Awards recognize group efforts.
- The Cigna Matching Gifts Program. Cigna employees are able to direct a sizable portion of Cigna's financial giving in the areas of education and culture. The Cigna Foundation matches their donations to special education, colleges, and arts and cultural organizations.
Connecting Personal and Community Health
Cigna is a leader in making the connection between health and service. One example is the Cigna Foundation "Healthy Lifestyle" grants program. Through this program, employees who take part in organized healthy events (for example, marathons and walkathons) can direct a $100 grant to their preferred charity. This includes both events they enter on their own, and certain Cigna-sponsored events such as the Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend.
Making Global Connections
The Cigna Foundation has connected with people around the world in ways ranging from disaster relief to building Hope Schools in China. Our new Cigna Global Giving Fund is extending our reach to improve the health of individuals, families and communities everywhere.
Cigna's collaboration with Water for People combines education, awareness and philanthropy to provide an essential resource to those in need. It's a great example of our approach to building community health on a sustainable basis.