Cigna Sustainability Practices
At Cigna, responsible business practice means making the connection between personal health and the health of our global environment.
As a global health service company, we understand the connection between personal health and the health of our environment. Cigna considers managing the risks and opportunities associated with climate change and resource scarcity as a significant aspect of our corporate responsibility platform.
Cigna’s Global Real Estate (GRE) team has adopted a Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan designed to execute a best-in-class environmental sustainability program.
To deliver on our Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan, Cigna GRE is establishing programs and policies that can result in significant improvements in energy efficiency. This plan is intended to follow the United States Green Building Council’s LEED® guidelines for Green Building Operations and Management.
We are focused on:
- Reducing our emissions; energy and water consumption; and waste to landfill
- Reusing and recycling more of what we consume
- Increasing efficiencies in all our operations
- Engaging with our employees and key stakeholders to support our corporate responsibility platform
Doing more with less: it's the key to sustainability. We established four operational efficiency areas to help reduce our environmental impact while improving our processes.
- Real estate — pursuing space optimization, energy efficiency projects, green building materials, LEED and Energy Star certifications, and a "green clean" mandate
- Information technology — developing server virtualization, desktop virtualization, and a zero e-waste policy
- Print procedures — reducing paper usage through our electronic claims management systems, double-sided printing, and high recycled content office paper standards
- Business travel — encouraging telecommuting, initiating an e-rideshare board and a pre-tax mass transit benefit program, and establishing a fuel efficient leased vehicle fleet
Cigna's GreenSTEPS program combines our commitment to corporate responsibility with the enthusiasm of our team. GreenSTEPS (Sustainability Team for Environmental Protection and Stewardship) is a voluntary group of Cigna employees who are passionate about the environment and want to take steps in both their personal and professional lives to make a positive impact.
In addition to being inside advocates for Cigna's environmental sustainability efforts, GreenSTEPS members also engage with their communities through local environmental projects.