Financial Strength and Credit Ratings
Current insurer financial strength ratings for Cigna subsidiaries:
- Standard & Poor's – rating for Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC) and Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC) is "AA-". Life Insurance Company of North America (LINA) is not rated by S&P.
- Fitch – rating for CGLIC and LINA is "A+"
- A.M. Best – rating for CGLIC, CHLIC and LINA is "A"
- Moody's – rating for CGLIC, CHLIC and LINA is "A1"
Current ratings on Cigna Corporation's senior unsecured debt:
- Standard and Poor's: "A"
- Fitch: "BBB+"
- Moody's: "Baa1"
Financial strength and credit ratings represent the opinions of the rating agencies with respect to the financial ability to meet claim obligations and the creditworthiness of an obligor to meet its senior unsecured financial obligations, respectively. The above list is not exclusive. If you would like to request financial or credit rating information for a particular Cigna subsidiary, please contact us.
Ratings provide both industry participants and consumers with meaningful information on specific companies and have become an increasingly important factor in establishing the competitive position of companies in the industry. Ratings are not a recommendation of the companies, their products, specific policy provisions, rates, or the practices of the insurance companies.
Rating agencies continually review the financial performance and condition of companies and higher ratings generally indicate financial stability and a strong ability to meet financial obligations.
Each of the rating agencies reviews its ratings periodically and there can be no assurance that current ratings will be maintained in the future.
Our strong ratings are an important factor in marketing products to our customers, since ratings information is broadly disseminated and generally used throughout the industry.Current relative position on rating agency scales (subject to change):
- Standard and Poor's – “AA-” is fourth, and “A” is sixth, out of twenty-two categories
- Fitch – “A+” is fifth, and “BBB+” is eight, out of twenty-one categories
- A.M. Best – “A” is third out of sixteen categories
- Moody's – “A1” is fifth, and “Baa1” is eighth out of twenty-one categories