Every person is unique and defines a healthy lifestyle in her or his own terms. It’s our aim to be part of those individual health journeys.
We have developed a wide array of health and wellness tools and programs to help our customers take advantage of the Cigna Way to Health:
- Cigna's Health Assessment Tool helps identify healthy lifestyle activities to improve health. Use the tool to perform a Health Risk Assessment (HRA), which identifies people that could benefit from wellness and behavior modification programs. People who complete the survey have access to individual coaches and other resources to address many health risks.
- The Cigna Healthy Life Personal Health Team connects individuals with dedicated health coaches who listen, identify needs and find solutions to health questions. It’s an integrated model that empowers people to take an active role in their own health care and lead a full life.
- Cigna Behavioral Health customers have access to care management teams. These teams help individuals engage in specialized care for conditions like depression and substance abuse.
- The Your Health First program takes a holistic approach to chronic care management. The program helps people develop the will to improve their conditions by identifying goals and educating them in self-management of their chronic condition.
- The Well Informed (Gaps in Care) program helps individuals improve adherence to their medication regimes.
- The 24-Hour Health Information LineTM provides round-the-clock access to medical information in a supportive, relaxed environment. In this setting, real understanding can take place.
- Cigna’s Podcast Library contains clear, informative messages about topics from caring for children’s oral health to confronting the financial challenges that impact health.
- Cigna Mobile helps customers access health care providers, compare medication costs, get benefit coverage information and locate urgent care facilities through their web-enabled mobile phones.
Emphasis on Quality Health Programs
Cigna is committed to providing industry-leading health improvement initiatives. For example, by identifying customers who missed recommended clinical services, we can reach out to educate them on prevention and health management practices. We evaluate the impact of these outreach efforts to ensure that they result in improved health care outcomes for our customers.
Our unique Health Improvement Index helps us determine how well we’re doing in our goal to improve the health of our customers. This Index is a set of standards that drives performance at all levels of the Cigna team. In fact, we consider it so important that it is part of our CEO’s performance objective and is a factor in his compensation.
Here are some of the ways we gauge our success:
- Cigna holds Accredited with Performance Reporting‡ status with the National Committee for Quality Assurance, a private, non-profit organization dedicated to improving health care quality.
- The readers of Business Insurance magazine named Cigna's employee assistance program the best in the industry for six years in a row through their Readers Choice Awards.
- Cigna Behavioral Health earned the highest rating possible in the Full Accreditation Status from the NCQA Managed Behavioral Healthcare Organization.
- In 2010, Cigna won three national awards for the way we communicate with customers, including a Gold Award and two Merit Awards in the 17th Annual National Health Information AwardsSM program.
- In 2010, Cigna's overall Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set, or HEDIS®*, average increased 1.41% over 2009. For the ninth straight year, Cigna exceeded the Quality Compass®* national average for the majority of key preventive and chronic care measures for HMO/POS plans.
‡NCQA Wellness & Health Promotion Accreditation evaluates how well a wellness and health promotion organization manages all parts of its wellness and health promotion program for continuous improvement of the quality of services, materials and activities provided to eligible individuals. Accredited With Performance Reporting status is granted to wellness and health promotion organizations that have submitted a specific number of results for NCQA’s standardized WHP Performance Measures, in addition to meeting or exceeding NCQA’s standards.
*HEDIS® and Quality Compass® are registered trademarks of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).