Before placing new business with Cigna, brokers and consultants must be:
- Licensed, contracted and appointed in state of the account for indemnity business
- Licensed, contracted and appointed in the state where the customer office is located for HMO accounts
Solicit, sell or negotiate insurance benefits
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Producer Licensing Model Act, which has been adopted by many states, requires brokers and consultants to hold a "health" or "life/health" insurance license in the state where the solicitation, sale or negotiation takes place—before any sales activity.
The following states have insurance laws with additional requirements that need to be met before solicitation, sale or negotiation of insurance benefits:
- Colorado—must be licensed and contracted with the carrier quoting the case
- Georgia—must be licensed, contracted and appointed with the carrier
- Illinois—must be licensed and contracted
- Indiana—must be licensed and contracted
- Kansas—must be licensed and contracted
- Rhode Island—must be licensed and contracted
Special licensing requirements may exist with the sale of the following:
- Dental HMO accounts with multiple membership sites
- FlexCare® accounts with member sites in California, Texas and Alabama
- Dental/HMO accounts with a member site in Virginia
- Dental HMO accounts located in Georgia or Massachusetts
To receive commissions, you must meet licensing requirements before the effective date of the account. If you receive your license after the effective date of the account, state and case law requires insurers to pay commissions from the effective date of the license.
If your affiliated firm receives the commissions, you and the firm must meet the license requirements of the account.
If you have questions about licensing requirements, contact our local Cigna sales office.
You must maintain a current license by complying with resident-state renewal and continuing-education requirements.
Submit new business
Work closely with the Cigna Sales Office New Business Managers to complete the filing requirements when submitting new business. When making a sale, you'll be required to:
- Confirm that all licensing, company appointment and contracting requirements of the account are met
- Complete one of the following forms:
- Customer acknowledgement form (for all funding arrangements)
- Producer acknowledgement form (signed by broker/agent)
- Producer contract agreement
Please send all licensing, contracting and appointment questions to AgentLicensing@Cigna.com or to the Cigna HealthCare Licensing Department by fax at 860.226.3917.