Health Service Cost Solutions for Large Employers*
Cigna is dedicated to providing large employers the value of better health—not just lower health care costs. We believe that to get control of costs, better health must be achieved.
We evaluate, design and customize health plan strategies that are aimed at helping clients drive immediate and sustainable improvements in outcomes, satisfaction and savings.
We inform, incent and collaborate with health care professionals to improve the quality and affordability of the care they deliver.
We engage, guide and motivate customers to achieve and maintain their best health, well-being and sense of security so they can live and work at their full potential.
Network and benefit strategies
At Cigna, we know that access to appropriate care is important. That’s why we offer a variety of network options—from national networks to local, narrow networks—to support your long-term goals. You may also be able to set up specific networks customized to your organization to increase network access or promote utilization through benefit design to provide additional savings.
Our flexible benefit designs allow you to customize the plan to your organization’s goals—to help you save money and control costs:
- Wide array of cost-sharing options, including copays, coinsurance and deductibles
- Robust medical management to help reduce the use of nonessential procedures
- Maximum Reimbursable Charge (MRC) and Network Savings Program options to help control costs on out-of-network care
- Optional health and wellness incentive programs to encourage and reward employees
Our plan design solutions can help deliver and maximize value to you and your employees.
Cigna wants to help your employees reach their full health potential and achieve their unique health goals. We get to know our customers. We provide employees with support to make informed decisions so they can become more engaged in their health and help your company lower costs. We offer:
- Award-winning1 shop and compare tools. Our tools give clients and customers the information they need to control costs.
- Integrated health programs. Effective programs help address each employee’s health goals and needs. Our data shows that the right benefit solutions design incorporating clinical, network, benefit and engagement programs can result in significant reductions in savings and/or medical trend.2
- Embedded care coordination. Coordinated care is designed to better inform employees and engage them in health improvement programs.
- Relationships with providers. Cigna works collaboratively with health care professionals to improve quality of care and make costs sustainable. Large physician groups that have participated in Cigna Collaborative Care for two or more years, on average demonstrated 3% better than market average total medical cost and 3% better than market average quality performace.3
- Value-based benefits and reimbursement. Incentives are designed to motivate employees to improve their health and lower costs.
- Data innovation. Analyzing data can help you understand costs. Health care professionals also rely on Cigna data for important patient information.
Transforming health ownership
At Cigna, we’re moving beyond simple engagement to create new, deeper and more powerful relationships with our customers—and the health care professionals who treat them. Our focus is to transform health ownership. By changing the way care is delivered and consumed, for the better.
We educate, empower and motivate customers and their doctors to become active owners of their health and health spending – using a variety of strategies.
When people invest their money in health benefits and services, they need to understand the costs in simple terms. We offer customer advantages with our cost control solutions:
- More information and better coordination. Our HealthEview® desktop portal gives dedicated Cigna staff—and health care professionals—deep insight into individual health. Information is sourced from Cigna medical, behavioral, pharmacy, short term disability and other program data along with daily precertification, health assessments and lab data.
- Integrated clinical services. Our clinical integration provides a skilled team of coaches, pharmacists, medical and behavioral professionals that work together and share information to help customers stay healthy and spend less.
- Cigna Cost of Care Estimator. Using this tool, doctors and specialists can estimate the cost of care.
We offer a full suite of products, including life, accident, disability vision and dental. By bundling programs, for example, Cigna disability with medical condition management, we are able to drive additional savings: Up to $214/engaged employee per year*; $1,777/engaged disabled employee.4
Cigna integrates data across multiple platforms, so it’s possible to identify health risks, such as an employee’s potential injury or illness risks. If an employee does leave work, we can help him or her return faster.
Read about a study in the American Journal of Managed Care (focused on Cigna customers) that suggests how outreach can help reduce hospital readmissions for those at high risk.
Managing drug costs
We learned that 87% of employers are unsure of where exactly their health care dollars are being spent3. To help manage costs, we can show you what the costs are.
Pharmacy rules are also changing rapidly—many medications may soon become specialty drugs. Cigna can help you manage all of the specialty pharmacy cost drivers. In 2012, our SpecialtyRx program achieved $27 million in savings by working with doctors and patients to guide specialty drug administration to appropriate care site 5.
With clinical oversight, we can help guide you to better performance.
Large employers can take advantage of solutions around the world and an extensive network that provides access to medical professionals across the globe. Customer service is available—with access to more than 170 languages through Language Line—24/7/365. We also offer temporary international coverage for employees.
*Large employers have more than 5,000 employees.
1Cigna’s new online cost and quality capabilities named one of the top ten technology innovations of 2012 by Information Week (Sept. 2012).
2Based on 2012 internal client case studies: one of world’s largest household goods manufacturers (-5.6% total trend); global provider of defense and security products (2.8% trend impact year one and 1.1% year two); global financial services company ($7.6 million savings). Examples only; client results vary.
3Cigna Collaborative Care, Large Group annual results for 2012 versus market average (2013).
4Cigna internal data, 2013 vs. those with disability only. Test for statistical significance was conducted at the 95% confidence level.
5Cigna's nationwide book of business report, 2012.
Easy-to-use Cigna group health insurance plans and engaging wellness solutions offer support around the clock – 24/7/365.
Cigna network and service designs help you tailor plans to your needs.
Cigna’s focus on health and well-being is designed to help your employees identify health risks. We work to get people motivated with personalized support.
For employees working outside the U.S., we offer health products and services, market expertise and 24/7/365 service across the globe.
Get the basics to stay informed on reform.