Our capabilities as a health service company allow us to see the whole person – not just a dental condition. At Cigna, we help each individual customer understand how their dental health impacts their overall health and wellness. And we help employers save money in the process.
Cigna group dental coverage provides easy and cost-effective access to care, a whole-person integrated health focus and a revolutionized customer experience. As a health service company with robust dental capabilities, Cigna is dedicated to delivering better savings, better health and a better experience for clients and customers.
Cigna dental insurance coverage delivers broad choice with:
- The largest discounted DPPO solution1
- Competitive discounts with flexibility to help meet employers’ needs
Cigna has the largest discounted Dental PPO solution in the nation1 with a growing network and 131,1502 unique dentists projected by 2014. By focusing on quality network growth, we can help maximize clients’ and customers’ savings. Cigna projects 4% higher net effective discounts than the industry by 20143.
Backed by the nation’s largest DHMO network,4 our Dental HMO plans merge cost-saving options with consumer-friendly features. And our DHMO suite now includes coinsurance plans, plans with surgical implant coverage, TMJ coverage, and more5.
Cigna Dental focuses on preventive oral care to help people lead healthier, more productive lives. We know healthy people are more productive, contribute more to their organization’s overall performance and simply cost less. We also know that good oral health may impact overall health.
Using our extensive experience as a health service company, we target at-risk individuals and make it easy for them to get the right dental care. With a strong focus on integration, our Oral Health Integration Program is one of the most comprehensive6 programs of its kind reimbursing individuals for certain related preventive and periodontal services. In addition, about 50% of customers who participate in the Dental Outreach Program, Cigna's proactive preventive dental outreach, visit the dentist.7
The right dental care can improve overall health and lower costs. A 2012 Cigna study8 shows $1,020, or 27.5%, average savings per person per year for individuals with gum disease who received appropriate care, regardless of whether or not they had a medical condition. The savings may be significantly attributable to the following additional findings for the group:
- 67% lower hospital admission rate
- 54% lower ER rate
Employers can save even more with Cigna bundling credits:
- Up to 1% credit on medical claims for new fully insured clients9
- 1% credit on medical claims is similar to a 10%-15% credit in dental claims10
- Up to $100,000 credit on annual medical claims per 1,000 employees11
Our cutting edge customer service features assure we’ll be there whenever and wherever our customers need us.
- 24/7 live telephone service in 150 languages and dialects
- Innovative myCigna.com, with oral health assessments and cost estimator tools
- Easy on-the-go access with myCigna Mobile
Dental care is about more than brushing and flossing. At Cigna, we understand how the right dental coverage can help lower medical costs and lead to a healthier, more productive workforce. And we have the tools and experience to help organizations and their employees save more money on the path to better health.
Cigna dental insurance plans and administrative services are offered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, or their affiliates.
1. NetMinder. DPPO data as of March, 2013, including combined reported Cigna Dental Radius Network® and Dental Network Savings Program counts of unique dentists. Data is subject to change. The Ignition Group makes no warranty regarding the performance of the data and the results that will be obtained by using.
2. January 2014 projection; 121,845 unique dentists as of March 2013.
3. 2014 industry projection based on actual 2011 Ruark Discount Study industry results projected to 2014 based on an average 2% effective discount industry growth and an average 4% effective discount Cigna DPPO growth from 2011-2014.
4. The term "DHMO" is used to refer to product designs that may differ by state of residence of enrollee, including but not limited to, prepaid plans (Oklahoma, et al), managed care plans, and plans with open access features (OK and MN, et al). The Cigna DHMO is not available in the following states: AK, HI, ME, MT, NH, NM, ND, PR, RI, SD, VI, VT, WV, and WY. For the DHMO company name and other information for your particular state, see Group Plans Disclosures and Info. by State. Terms and conditions of coverage are set forth in DHMO policy forms GM6000 DEN201V1* (CGLIC) and HP-POL115* (CHLIC), and DPPO policy forms GM6000 ELI288* et al (CGLIC) and HP-POL99* (CHLIC) (*actual number may vary by state).Network comparison based on NetMinder DHMO data as of September 2012 and is subject to change. The Ignition Group makes no warranty regarding the performance of the data and the results that will be obtained by using.
5. Individuals must receive services through their network general dentist for coverage to apply, except in emergencies. For residents of OK and MN coverage is available out-of-network. Prior authorization may be required for certain specialty care treatments. Only those procedures that are medically necessary and listed on the plan’s Patient Charge Schedule (PCS) are covered. Services related to the surgical placement of a dental implant are limited to one per year with replacement of a surgical implant frequency limitation of one every 10 years. Prosthesis over implant replacement is limited to every 5 years if unserviceable and cannot be repaired. The frequency limitations of certain other covered services are set forth in the PCS. The following are excluded from coverage unless otherwise listed on the PCS or required by law: (a) Experimental and cosmetic dentistry; (b) Treatments or surgery if associated with a poor or hopeless diagnosis; (c) Recementation of crowns, inlays and onlays, post and cores, and veneers within 180 days of initial placement; (d) Crowns, bridges and implant supported prosthesis used solely for splinting; and (e) Work already in progress for crowns, bridges, dentures, root canal treatment, or implant supported prosthesis. A complete list of your plan’s terms, including exclusions and limitations, is set forth in the applicable plan documents.
6. Based on an internal market survey conducted from 2008–2012 including over ten leading dental carriers which indicates Cigna covers more conditions and reimburses for more procedures than any other carrier reviewed. Cigna also offers eligible program participants information on behavioral conditions that can affect oral health and pharmacy discounts on certain dental prescriptions – no other carrier reviewed offered these additional services.
7. December 2012, Cigna internal Dental Outreach Program reporting.
8. “Appropriate Periodontal Therapy Associated with Lower Medical Utilization and Costs” Presented at the International Association for Dental Research Meeting March 2013, Seattle
9. 1% medical underwriting decrement is applicable with the purchase of Cigna’s WellAware chronic condition management program. A medical underwriting decrement of .5% is applied without purchase of Cigna’s WellAware program.
10. Underwriting decrement. Percentages are calculated via average cost differences of medical and dental claims. Example: The average Dental PPO claim is $25 PMPM with average medical claims would be 10-15 times higher so $250-$375 PMPM. Based on regional yearly average claims with Cigna DPPO Book of Business, 2012. Actual results may vary.
11. Underwriting decrement based on a regional average of 1,000 employees claims processed during 2012 for Cigna DPPO Book of Business. Example only. Actual underwriting decrement may vary dependent on policy type and premiums.
This information is not intended for residents of New Mexico.