Cigna has been a national sponsor of March of Dimes for many years. Locally, each Cigna Medical Group location has a team of walkers and organizes fundraising efforts to help support this important cause.
Each year, Cigna employees in the Phoenix area participated in the campaign to raise money for this cause. Over the years Cigna, the Cigna Foundation and employees of Cigna and Cigna Medical Group have contributed over $25 million to the March of Dimes, with more than $1 million raised by Arizona employees alone.
This year's event was on Saturday, April 13th and over 250 Cigna employees and family members participated in the walk. As a team Cigna raised close to $85,000 for the March of Dimes. The money raised through walker pledges and other fundraisers goes to research, education, services, and support that help the March of Dimes achieve its mission of improving the health of babies and preventing premature birth. Every Baby Deserves A Healthy Start!
Cigna and the City of Phoenix have partnered for over 20 years to make summers fun and safe for children.
Our sponsorship offers free programs to educate children about water safety to help prevent drowning:
- Itty Bitty Beach Party (ages six years or younger and their parents) are poolside parties that include water safety instruction, games, and contests.
- Cub Club (ages seven to 10) is a fun way for children to learn basic first aid and water safety skills.
- Discovery Guards (ages 10 to 13) is a step into more detailed water safety. Participants meet two times a week for six weeks. Activities include: an introduction to CPR, basic first aid training and an introduction to lifeguarding skills.
- Junior Lifeguard Training (ages 13 to 15) provides the opportunity to develop leadership skills. First-year Junior Lifeguards will become certified in Community First Aid and Safety and CPR; second-year junior lifeguards will be certified water safety aides and work toward the goal of employment.
- Lifeguard Academy (age 15 and older) trains and certifies candidates in lifeguard training, first aid and CPR with AED, in addition to providing candidates a professional orientation to the position of lifeguard.
Over 60,000 children have participated in Cigna Summer programs over the past 20 years. Our employees volunteer approximately 50 hours at Cigna Summer events each summer.
Additionally, Cigna Medicare Services and Cigna Medical Group have sponsored free senior water aerobics at City of Phoenix pools that has benefited more than 4,000 seniors throughout the Valley.
Cigna and Cigna Medical Group employees have participated in an annual food drive with St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance, for the past 14 years. For five weeks each Fall, employees raise money and collect non-perishable food items in an effort to make a positive difference for Arizonans in need.
Each Cigna and Cigna Medical Group location selects Team Captains who take on the responsibility of encouraging their colleagues to donate cans or money. Employees come up with creative activities to raise money, including bake sales, book sales and contests.
Over the years our employees have raised over$170,000, collected over 50,000 canned goods and volunteered many hours to assemble thousands of food boxes for Arizonans in need.
St. Mary's recognizes Cigna's campaign by inviting us to share our fundraising "best practices" in their Horn of Plenty newsletter and with their national partner, Feeding America.
Be a Hunger Hero! Donations and gift-in-kind are accepted at all CMG locations during the Fall food drive.
All Cigna employees are encouraged to volunteer and support other community organizations that include: American Heart Association, United Way, American Cancer Society, UMOM New Day Center, Boys and Girls Club, AZ Humane Society, Valley Kids Foundation and many others.