Cigna's eServices for health care professionals
Instead of submitting paperwork, you can easily send and get information electronically using one of Cigna's eService solutions.
Cigna’s electronic services can help:
- Reduce your administrative costs
- Save time
- Provide up-to-date information and conduct transactions
Cigna offers eServices through:
- Cigna for Health Care Professionals—for health care professionals who provide services to patients with Cigna ID cards
- Secured Provider Portal—for health care professionals who provide service to patients with GWH-Cigna ID cards
- Third party vendors and clearinghouses (EDI)—You submit information through a vendor, and Cigna responds either directly or through the vendor.
Using our websites
Both the secure Cigna for Health Care Professionals website and GWH-Cigna Secured Provider Portal offer free, convenient, time-saving tools, including eligibility and benefit inquiries, precertification, claim status and claim payment and explanation. You can also access remittance reports and patient liability estimations on the Cigna for Health Care Professionals website.
Submitting claims electronically
We strongly encourage you to submit claims electronically. Learn more about submitting electronic claims.
Benefiting from ERA
ERA, or the 835, is the HIPAA-compliant detailed explanation of how a claim was processed. The ERA can be automatically loaded into your accounts receivable system, which can help reduce costs, save time, reduce posting errors and shorten the payment cycle.
Signing up for ERA is easy:
- Request the Cigna registration form from your vendor or Post-n-Track*.
- Return the completed registration form to your vendor or Post-n-Track (Separate registration is required for Cigna and GWH-Cigna networks, and a registration form must be submitted for each TIN).
- Your vendor or Post-n-Track will send the completed form to Cigna for processing; Cigna will finalize your registration within 10 business days of receiving it.
- You may begin receiving ERAs on your next payment cycle.
*Post-n-Track software is available at no cost to Cigna health care professionals. To enroll, contact Post-n-Track at 860.257.2030, or visit Post-n-Track.com and select Enroll. For the latest information on our vendors and the transactions they support, visit Cigna.com/EDIvendors.
Benefiting from Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
EFT deposits claim payments directly into your bank account, avoiding mail delays. Payments become available the day of the deposit. You’ll receive a separate direct deposit activity report (DDAR) for each deposit. The DDAR shows the deposit transaction, details of the processed claims and payments included.
To sign up for EFT:
- Log in to the Cigna for Health Care Professionals. Then go to My Practice > Enroll a New EFT Account.
- Complete the electronic enrollment form
- Cigna sends a "pre-note transaction" to your bank to verify your banking information is correct.
Important information about EFT:
- For savings account deposits, you must verify that your bank supports EFT.
- The enrollment process typically takes four to six weeks.
- If you use more than one TIN, you must complete a separate enrollment for each TIN.
- If your TIN, billing address or bank account changes, you must submit a change request by logging in to Cigna for Health Care Professionals. Then go to My Practice > Change Current EFT Settings.
- EFT is not currently available for payments associated with patients who are part of the GWH-Cignanetwork.
- If a remittance report for a patient with a Cigna Choice Fund® reimbursement account (HRA, HSA, FSA) was not included with the Cigna medical payment, it will be mailed to you within 48 hours.
- To check the status of your EFT application, log in to Cigna for Health Care Professionals.Then go to My Practice, and view the Enrollment/Update Status.
Using the Cigna Cost of Care Estimator®
The Cigna Cost of Care Estimator helps eliminate financial surprises by estimating the cost of the service, highlighting the patient’s anticipated payment responsibility and providing you and your patients with a printed Explanation of Estimate to share with your patient. The Cigna Cost of Care Estimator helps educate individuals about how their Cigna administered medical benefits influence what they can expect to owe.
This online tool available on the Cigna for Health Care Professionals website generates:
- Personalized estimates of the cost of specific services
- Cigna’s plan payment
- Anticipated payments from the patient’s HRA/HSA/FSA accounts (when automatic claim forwarding is enabled)
- Your patient’s out of pocket costs