Cigna's eServices for health care professionals
Instead of submitting paperwork, you can easily send and get information electronically using one of Cigna's eService solutions.
Cigna’s electronic services can help:
- Reduce your administrative costs
- Save time
- Provide up-to-date information and conduct transactions
Cigna offers eServices through:
- Cigna for Health Care Professionals—for health care professionals who provide services to patients with Cigna or GWH-Cigna ID cards
- Third party vendors and clearinghouses using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)—You submit information through a vendor, and Cigna responds either directly or through the vendor.
Using our website
The secure Cigna for Health Care Professionals website (CignaforHCP.com) offers free, convenient, time-saving tools, including eligibility and benefit inquiries, patient liability estimates, precertification, claim status and claim payment and explanation. You can also enroll in electronic funds transfer (EFT) and access remittance reports on CignaforHCP.com.
Submitting claims electronically
We strongly encourage you to submit claims electronically.
Learn more about submitting electronic claims.
Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA)
ERA, or the 835, is the HIPAA-compliant detailed explanation of how a claim was processed. The ERA can be automatically loaded into your accounts receivable system, which can help reduce costs, save time, and reduce posting errors.
Enrolling in both ERA and Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) can shorten your payment cycle.
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
EFT, or direct deposit, electronically deposits claim fee-for-service and capitated payments directly into your bank account. EFT can improve your office workflow and productivity, and shorten the payment cycle. EFT allows you to receive your payments faster - no more waiting for paper checks to clear.
Important information about EFT:
- For savings account deposits, you must verify that your bank supports EFT.
- The enrollment process typically takes four to six weeks.
- If you use more than one TIN, you must complete a separate enrollment for each.
- If your TIN, billing address or bank account changes, you can make changes by logging in to Cigna for Health Care Professionals > Working With Cigna > Manage EFT Settings.
- EFT is not currently available for payments associated with patients who are part of the GWH-Cigna network.
- If a remittance report for a patient with a Cigna Choice Fund® reimbursement account (HRA, HSA, FSA) was not included with the Cigna medical payment, it will be mailed to you within 48 hours.
- To check the status of your EFT application, log in to Cigna for Health Care Professionals > Working With Cigna > Manage EFT Settings.
- Enrolling in both EFT and ERA can shorten your payment cycle.
Using the Cigna Cost of Care Estimator®
The Cigna Cost of Care Estimator helps eliminate financial surprises by estimating the cost of the service, highlighting the patient’s anticipated payment responsibility and providing you and your patients with a printed Explanation of Estimate to share with your patient. The Cigna Cost of Care Estimator helps educate patients about how their Cigna administered medical benefits influence what they can expect to owe.
This online tool available on the Cigna for Health Care Professionals website generates:
- Personalized estimates of the cost of specific services
- Cigna’s plan payment
- Anticipated payments from the patient’s HRA/HSA/FSA accounts (when automatic claim forwarding is enabled)
- Your patient’s out of pocket costs