This document provides a general outline of HIPAA information and does not constitute legal advice or the full complement of actions you need to take to be compliant with the HIPAA regulations.
- Login now
Login for information about claims, payment, policies, precertification and reference guides.
Questions & Answers About HIPAA Transaction And Code Sets Standards
- How does HIPAA affect provider reimbursement contracts?
All electronic claim submissions must now contain HIPAA compliant medical and non-medical code sets. Therefore, contracts may need to be modified in order to reflect a valid alignment of contracted procedures and corresponding reimbursement rates.
- How does HIPAA affect fee schedules?
To support HIPAA compliance, Cigna HealthCare will add the HIPAA-compliant codes to the fee schedules.
- How are your web-sites impacted by the transaction and code sets regulations?
- What changes did Cigna HealthCare make to Provider Self-Service (PSS)?
In July 2003, PSS was changed to support eligibility and benefit inquiries and response (270/271), as well as claim status inquiries and response (276/277).
Here are some of the changes you'll notice:
- The status field now shows whether the claim is pending or in process.
- Explanation of Payment Remark codes, now called "Additional Information," are now HIPAA-compliant. These codes are used only for electronic transactions (PSS). On a single inquiry you are now able to inquire about services provided within a 180-day date range.
Eligibility and Benefits:
- Product Type
- The screen now shows additional information when applicable:
- Medical Group/Risk Group Name
- PCP phone number
- Outpatient hospital out-of-pocket expense
- MRI/Lab/X-ray copayments
- The coinsurance percentage Cigna HealthCare applies to a covered expense (instead of the percentage the member must pay).
- What is Provider Self-Service?
With this "application," or tool, you can check your patient's benefits, eligibility or claim information conveniently and securely online. Access is available during the following hours:
Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to Midnight ET
Saturday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET
Sunday*, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. ET
- With what vendors is Cigna HealthCare connected?
Click here for vendors connected with Cigna HealthCare.
It's easy to become a participating health care professional in Cigna’s broad national network. Learn how to join.
Our health plans are designed to motivate patients to use health care professionals in our network. Learn more about the benefits of Cigna.
Contact us to learn more about becoming part of the Cigna network.
Cigna works with doctors and other health care professionals to understand health care reform and how it might affect them.