Back School for Low Back Pain [en Español]
Back School for Low Back PainSkip to the navigation
A back school is an educational program that teaches you practical information about back care, posture, body mechanics, back exercises, and how to prevent long-term back problems. Going to a back school gives you the tools for self-care, which may improve how well you manage low back pain .
Back school works only as well as you make it work by applying your back-care knowledge on a regular basis. Back school research has produced mixed results.
- Some studies have shown that back school can improve low back pain and speed recovery. Other studies have shown no benefit or mixed results. footnote 1 , footnote 2
- One study suggests that back school is as effective as manual treatments for relieving some low back pain. footnote 3
Ask your health insurance provider or doctor for the name of a local back school. You may find a back school program in your nearest rehabilitation hospital or outpatient program. Or you may find a back school that is an independent clinic.
- McIntosh G, Hall H (2011). Low back pain (acute), search date December 2009. Online version of BMJ Clinical Evidence: http://www.clinicalevidence.com.
- Chou R (2010). Low back pain (chronic), search date April 2009. Online version of BMJ Clinical Evidence: http://www.clinicalevidence.com.
- Hseih C, et al. (2002). Effectiveness of four conservative treatments for subacute low back pain. Spine, 27(11): 1142–1148.
Primary Medical Reviewer William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Joan Rigg, PT, OCS - Physical Therapy
Current as ofMay 22, 2015
Current as of: May 22, 2015
Author: Healthwise Staff
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org .
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.