Diabetes: High or Low Blood Sugar in Young Children
Young children with type 1 diabetes aren't able to recognize when their blood sugar level is high or low and then tell an adult. And sometimes it's even hard for a parent to tell the difference.
Some signs that may indicate high or low blood sugar in a very young child include:
- Irritability, anger, or crying.
- Nervousness or trembling.
- Staring off or not responding when touched or spoken to.
- Dark urine with a strong sweet odor.
- Drowsiness or difficulty waking up.
When you see changes in your child, do a home blood sugar test. It will show the actual blood sugar level, eliminating the guesswork.
- Diabetes-Related High and Low Blood Sugar Levels
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes: Children Living With the Disease
- Type 2 Diabetes in Children
|Primary Medical Reviewer||John Pope, MD - Pediatrics|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Stephen LaFranchi, MD - Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology|
|Last Revised||December 4, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: December 4, 2012|
|Medical Review:||John Pope, MD - Pediatrics|
Stephen LaFranchi, MD - Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.