Shock means that your body and its functions are shutting down. The body goes into shock when it can't get enough blood to
vital organs like your heart or brain. This may be caused by a sudden illness, an injury, or bleeding. Sometimes even a mild injury will lead to
Shock is a life-threatening condition. If a person develops signs of shock, call 911 or other emergency services and
begin home treatment immediately.
Signs of shock include:
Passing out (losing
Feeling very dizzy or lightheaded, like you may
pass out. A child may be very sleepy or hard to wake up.
Breathing fast even at rest.
Feeling very weak or having trouble standing
Being less alert. You may suddenly be unable to respond to
questions, or you may be confused, restless, or fearful. A child may not know who people are or where he or she is.
Prompt home treatment can save the
Call 911 or other emergency
Have the person lie down. If there is an injury to the
head, neck, or chest, keep the legs flat. Otherwise,
raise the person's legs at least
12 in. (30 cm).
the person vomits, roll him or her to one side to let fluids drain from the
mouth. If you think the person might have a neck or back injury, gently roll the
person's head, neck, shoulders, and body together as a unit (logroll).
This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.