Stress Management: Imagery Exercises
The methods described here help you relax, relieve stress, and feel better.
Imagery for releasing muscle tension
Close your eyes and imagine one of the following:
- Wax softening and melting.
- A tight, twisted rope slowly unwinding.
- Tension swirling out of your body and down the drain.
- You holding a remote control and turning down the volume on your muscle tension.
Imagery as a mini-vacation
Take a 10-minute trip in your mind to someplace you enjoy. The place may be a quiet, peaceful scene or a fun activity. It may be a favorite place from your past or some place you have never seen but can imagine.
- Picture yourself there in as much detail as possible. Imagine the sounds, smells, sights, and feelings.
- Let your body and mind respond as if you were actually there. Your thoughts will be calmed or brightened, your muscles will relax, and a feeling of letting go will come over you.
Color imagery is good for combating daily hassles and tensions.
- Close your eyes and scan your body for tension or discomfort. Picture the color red and associate it with this tension. Imagine all the tense parts of your body as red.
- Take a deep breath and change the color from red to blue. Imagine the tension slipping away as the areas change from red to blue. Experience the relaxation associated with the color blue.
- Now imagine the color blue becoming deeper and darker, and relax further with each shade of blue.
Practice changing the tension color from red to blue with each daily hassle you confront. Imagine the color blue as your cue to relax.
- How to Track Your Stress
- Panic Attacks and Panic Disorder
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Stress Management
- Stress Management: Breathing Exercises
- Stress Management: Helping Your Child With Stress
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Steven Locke, MD - Psychiatry|
|Last Revised||May 3, 2013|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: May 3, 2013|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
Steven Locke, MD - Psychiatry
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
This information is for educational purposes only and is unrelated to health plan benefits or coverage. Services addressed may not be covered under your health plan. If you have questions about your coverage, please refer to your benefit plan document or call the number on the back of your health plan membership ID card.