Other Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Endometriosis
Endometriosis symptoms are similar to the symptoms of
many other diseases. So any symptoms need to be investigated to confirm the
diagnosis of endometriosis and to rule out other causes.
Possible causes of symptoms include:
- Painful periods that are simply caused by
prostaglandins and cramps (primary dysmenorrhea). Prostaglandins normally
increase around the time of your menstrual period.
- Adenomyosis, a disease that occurs when the cells that
normally line the
uterus grow into the muscular tissue of the uterine
- Noncancerous tumors in the wall of the uterus (uterine fibroids).
- Abnormal structure of
- Excessive growth of the lining of the uterus (endometrial hyperplasia). This is caused by a hormonal
- Noncancerous tumors growing out of the lining of the
uterus (endometrial polyps).
- Reproductive organ cancers.
Other conditions that can cause pelvic pain in women include:
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|Last Revised||July 7, 2011|