Prevent Warts on the Foot (Plantar Warts)
To prevent warts on the foot (plantar warts):
- Keep your feet dry. Warts thrive in moist, sweaty
- Wear socks that absorb moisture if your feet sweat
heavily. Change your socks often.
- Do not wear another person's
shoes or socks.
- Avoid touching warts.
- Do not walk
barefoot in a public locker room or shower facility. Whenever possible, wear
thongs or other footwear.
- Avoid injury or irritation to the soles
of your feet. Warts grow more easily if the skin has been cut, punctured, or
If you think you have plantar warts and are trying to avoid spreading
them to others:
- Keep the warts covered with a bandage or athletic
tape. Some experts suggest using duct tape.
- Do not share your
towel, bath mat, shoes, or socks with others.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||October 1, 2012|