Semont Maneuver for Vertigo
The Semont maneuver is done with the help of a doctor or physical
therapist. A single 10- to 15-minute session usually is all that is needed.
When your head is firmly moved into different positions, the crystal debris
(canaliths) causing vertigo moves freely and no longer causes symptoms.
- First, you sit on the exam table with your legs hanging off the edge.
- The doctor turns your head so that it is halfway
between looking straight ahead and looking away from the side that causes the
- The doctor then lowers you quickly to the side that
causes the worst vertigo. When your head is on the table, you are looking up at
the ceiling. The doctor holds you in this position for 30
- The doctor then quickly moves you to the other side of the
table, without stopping in the upright position. When your head is on the
table, you are now looking down at the table. The doctor holds you in this
position for 30 seconds.
- The doctor then helps you sit back
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Last Revised||December 19, 2012|