Alternate Arm and Leg (Bird Dog)
Do this exercise slowly. Try to keep your body straight at all
times, and don't let one hip drop lower than the other.
- Start on the floor, on your hands and
- Tighten your stomach muscles.
- Raise one leg off
the floor and hold it straight out behind you. Be careful not to let your hip
drop down, because that will twist your trunk.
- Hold for about 6 seconds,
then lower your leg and switch to the other leg.
- Repeat 8 to 12
times on each leg.
- Over time, work up to holding for 10 to 30
seconds each time.
- If you feel stable and secure with your leg
raised, try raising the opposite arm straight out in front of you at the same
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Joan Rigg, PT, OCS - Physical Therapy|
|Last Revised||February 15, 2012|