An internist is a medical doctor who specializes in the care of
adults. People might choose an internist as their primary doctor for regular
checkups and for treating illness.
Internists can further specialize in areas such as:
- Adolescent medicine (conditions and diseases
common to teenagers).
- Allergy, or immunology (immune system
- Cardiology (diseases and conditions of the
heart and blood vessels).
(diseases of the endocrine glands, which regulate
- Gastroenterology (diseases of the digestive
- Geriatric medicine (conditions and diseases in older
- Hematology (diseases of the blood and blood
- Infectious disease (complex
- Nephrology (diseases of the kidney and
- Oncology (cancer).
- Pulmonology (lung
diseases such as asthma, emphysema, and pneumonia).
(immune system diseases and diseases of the joints).
medicine (the treatment of injuries to the bones, muscles, joints, tendons, or
ligaments that result from physical activity).
Internists can be board-certified by the American Board of Internal
Medicine, which is recognized by the American Board of Medical