- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Alcohol Increases the Risk of Cold Injury
Drinking alcohol may increase the risk of injury from cold exposure. Alcohol:
- Changes your body's ability to regulate body temperature.
- Changes your judgment. For example, a person may not put on more clothing when it is needed if his or her judgment is changed by alcohol.
- Can cause blood vessels in the skin to get bigger (dilate). This increases heat loss.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||May 11, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: May 11, 2011|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.