- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Anorexia: Learning New Eating Behaviors
People who have anorexia often have difficulty at mealtimes. If mealtime is a stressful time for you, try something different. During meals:
- Try to eat slowly and gradually. Do not allow yourself to get overwhelmed by the idea of eating a meal.
- Talk with other people about things that interest you. Avoid talking about the food you are eating or thinking about your weight gain worries.
- Resist the temptation to argue with the people who are eating with you. Arguing increases tension and stress and makes it more difficult for you to relax.
- Trust that people around you are there to support your recovery to health. Not everyone knows the best way to make you feel supported.
The following may also help you develop more healthy eating habits:
- Working together with your doctor, set a reasonable weight for yourself. Decide the amount of weight you will gain each week.
- Pay attention to the amount of stress you have in your life. Ask for help to reduce your stress.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Adam Husney, MD, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||W. Stewart Agras, MD - Psychiatry|
|Last Revised||August 25, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: August 25, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Adam Husney, MD, MD - Family Medicine|
W. Stewart Agras, MD - Psychiatry
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.