- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Anticoagulants: What to Do if You Miss a Dose
Call your doctor if you are not sure what to do if you missed a dose of anticoagulant.
Your doctor can tell you exactly what to do so you don't take too much or too little anticoagulant. Then you will be as safe as possible.
But here are some general rules for what to do if you miss a dose.
- If you remember it in the same day, take the missed dose. Then go back to your regular schedule.
- If it is the next day, or almost time to take the next dose, do not take the missed dose. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed one. At your next regularly scheduled time, take your normal anticoagulant dose.
- If you miss your dose for 2 or more days, call your doctor.
Do not double the dose in any one day to make up for a missed dose.
- Anticoagulants for Coronary Artery Disease
- Anticoagulants for Heart Valve Disease
- Warfarin for Atrial Fibrillation
- Warfarin for Deep Vein Thrombosis
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Jeffrey S. Ginsberg, MD - Hematology|
|Last Revised||December 28, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: December 28, 2011|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Jeffrey S. Ginsberg, MD - Hematology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.