- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Aspirin (such as Anacin, Bayer, or Bufferin) relieves pain and reduces fever and inflammation.
Be sure to follow the nonprescription medicine precautions.
Dosage: Adults (age 20 and older), 650 mg every 4 hours, as needed. Maximum adult dose is 4,000 mg in a 24-hour period.
Aspirin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). For information about other NSAIDs, see nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
Side effects of aspirin include:
- Stomach upset or discomfort, which is the most common side effect. Taking aspirin with food may help.
- Ringing in the ears. Stop taking aspirin or take a smaller dose until the ringing goes away.
- Eye problems, such as blurred or double vision.
- Rapid, deep breathing.
Stop taking aspirin and call a health professional if side effects do not go away within 4 hours after the last dose of aspirin was taken.
Reasons not to take aspirin
Do not take aspirin if you:
- Are allergic to aspirin.
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant.
- Are breast-feeding.
- Have asthma.
- Have nasal polyps.
- Have a blood-clotting disorder.
- Have peptic ulcer disease.
- Have a history of gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Have a hangover.
Do not take aspirin if you are taking:
- Blood thinners (anticoagulants).
- Oral diabetes medicines.
- Back Problems and Injuries
- Fever, Age 12 and Older
- Menstrual Cramps
- Neck Problems and Injuries
- Nonprescription Medicines and Products
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||David Messenger, MD|
|Last Revised||August 5, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: August 5, 2011|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
David Messenger, MD
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.