- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Blood Pressure Screening
Tests and programs for high blood pressure vary widely in reliability. Results from automated blood pressure testing, such as you might do at a grocery store or pharmacy, may not be accurate. Any high blood pressure measurement discovered during a blood pressure screening program needs to be confirmed by a doctor or another health professional.
Rechecking blood pressure
The Seventh Joint National Committee (JNC 7) on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure recommends:2
- Healthy adults with normal blood pressure (119/79 mm Hg or below) should have their blood pressure checked at least every 1 to 2 years. This can be done during any routine medical visit.
- Adults who are prehypertensive (120–139 and/or 80–89 mm Hg) should have their blood pressure checked as often as recommended by their doctor or at least yearly. This can be done during any routine medical visit.
- Adults with other risk factors for heart disease or evidence of disease caused by high blood pressure need to have their blood pressure checked more often.
Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (2003). Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure JNC Express (NIH Publication No. 03–5233). Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Robert A. Kloner, MD, PhD - Cardiology|
|Last Revised||November 12, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: November 12, 2012|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Robert A. Kloner, MD, PhD - Cardiology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.