- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Bowel Obstruction: Stent Treatment
In some cases of bowel obstruction, a doctor places expandable metal tubes called stents in the large intestine. Stents hold the intestine open to allow its contents to move forward, which helps restore bowel function and improve symptoms.
Stents may be used to:
- Help you gain strength before surgery.
- Help prevent emergency surgery. Making large-intestine surgery less urgent may help avoid the need for a colostomy.
- Treat an obstruction caused by inoperable cancer.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology|
|Last Revised||April 27, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: April 27, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.