- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Reducing Pain and Swelling
If you have pain, tingling, and other problems in your hand because of carpal tunnel syndrome, you can take steps to help the pain.
Steps to relieve pain and reduce swelling include:
- Applying ice to the palm side of the hand and wrist for short periods.
- Avoiding sleeping on your hands or with your wrists bent. Wearing a wrist splint at night is often helpful.
- Taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which may help reduce swelling and relieve pain. They may be helpful for some people, although they are not generally thought to be effective for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Other lifestyle changes such as losing weight, quitting smoking, reducing the amount of alcohol you drink, and controlling medical conditions, such as diabetes, may help relieve your symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome related to swelling.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Herbert von Schroeder, MD, MSc, FRCSC - Hand and Microvascular Surgery|
|Last Revised||October 2, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 2, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
Herbert von Schroeder, MD, MSc, FRCSC - Hand and Microvascular Surgery
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.