- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Circumcision: Gomco Clamp
The Gomco clamp is a metal device with a bell-shaped end. During circumcision using a Gomco clamp, the baby's foreskin is stretched over the bell, and the clamp is tightened over his foreskin.
If the foreskin can't be pulled back (is not retractable), it usually needs to be cut before the clamp is put in place. The foreskin is cut away and the clamp removed.
- Many doctors are familiar and comfortable with its use.
- It has good cosmetic results.
- It allows for easy removal of all foreskin tissue.
Applying the Gomco clamp is:
- More complex than the other methods of circumcision, such as the Plastibell device and the Mogen clamp.
- More likely than the Mogen clamp to cause excessive bleeding.
- More likely than the other methods of circumcision to remove too much skin from the shaft of the penis.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||John Pope, MD - Pediatrics|
|Last Revised||January 27, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: January 27, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.