- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Complications of Sinusitis
Complications resulting from sinusitis are relatively rare. But when complications do occur, they may be life-threatening and often require extensive medical or surgical treatment.
The complications of sinusitis usually involve the spread of the infection beyond the sinuses.
- The facial bones can become infected (osteomyelitis), or the lining of the brain can become infected (meningitis).
- The infection can spread outside the sinus and create a pocket of pus (abscess) in an eye socket, the brain, or facial tissue.
Sinusitis may also increase symptoms of asthma and other lifelong (chronic) lung diseases. Sinus infections are a common problem for people who have asthma. Treating sinusitis may also help control the symptoms of asthma.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Patrice Burgess, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Donald R. Mintz, MD - Otolaryngology|
|Last Revised||September 12, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: September 12, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Patrice Burgess, MD - Family Medicine|
Donald R. Mintz, MD - Otolaryngology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.