- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Depression in Children and Teens
Certain medical or mental disorders can produce symptoms similar to depression. Before depression is diagnosed, it may be necessary to rule out other causes of the symptoms that your child or teen may be experiencing. These other disorders may be present along with depression. Examples of other conditions that can cause similar symptoms are:
- Dysthymic disorder, which has fewer symptoms and may be less severe than major depression but lasts longer.
- Substance abuse or dependency, which also can increase the risk of suicide in a child or teen.
- Anxiety disorders.
- Conduct disorder.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Bipolar disorder, which consists of alternating episodes of depression and mania (irritability or elevated mood).
- Eating disorders.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry|
|Last Revised||April 5, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: April 5, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.