- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Gallstone Symptoms: When Surgery Is Needed
Several conditions or situations may require surgery to remove the gallbladder. Surgery usually is needed when:
- Your gallbladder suddenly becomes inflamed or infected (cholecystitis).
- Gallstones cause repeated attacks of pain.
- You have growths called polyps in the gallbladder, usually larger than 0.4 in. (1 cm), that are causing symptoms.
- Gallstones cause inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
- A nonfunctioning gallbladder is causing symptoms.
- The gallbladder wall has calcified (porcelain gallbladder).
- You have gallstones and an impaired immune system.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Arvydas D. Vanagunas, MD - Gastroenterology|
|Last Revised||July 15, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: July 15, 2011|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Arvydas D. Vanagunas, MD - Gastroenterology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.