- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Get Chores Done Without Making Your Pain Worse
It's a sad fact: You have back pain and you also have housework to do, children to take care of, and errands to run.
When you can't find someone else to do a chore for you, keep in mind these important rules:
- Bend forward carefully. When you must bend forward to empty the dishwasher, pick up clothes, make the bed, or do other chores, bend carefully in a way that doesn't cause pain.
- When lifting, use your leg muscles and your stomach muscles to do most of the work. And keep whatever you're lifting as close to your body as you can.
- Try not to make any twisting movements. If you're dusting and need to turn, move your whole body in the direction you need to go instead of twisting.
- Take rest breaks. Don't do any one type of movement for too long without taking a break. And try to alternate chores so you're not doing the same movement (even with breaks) for a long time.
- Do it later. If it hurts too much to do the chore, put it off until you feel better.
Making the bed
Using the phone
Driving the car
In the bathroom
Washing dishes or ironing
Picking up children
Unloading the groceries
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Joan Rigg, PT, OCS - Physical Therapy|
|Last Revised||February 15, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: February 15, 2012|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
Joan Rigg, PT, OCS - Physical Therapy
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.