- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Group Child Care Center Policies
What to Ask About
If you are considering a group child care arrangement, ask for a complete written list of policies. Ask questions if all of your answers are not answered by documentation. You will need to know basic facts about the center as well as details about safety, rules, activities, and what's expected of the parents.
- Payment, including amount, due date, and reasons why extra fees might be charged
- Hours of operation and holiday closures
- Security procedures, such as sign in/sign out of children
- When a child must be kept home or sent home
- Notice requirements for ending arrangement
- Medical emergency
- Bad weather
- Severe contagious illness (such as meningitis)
- Staff training: First aid and CPR
- Is any food prepared on-site? If so, in what area?
- Are meals and snacks nutritious?
- Are there restrictions on what food can be brought in?
- How often are toilets, sinks, and countertops disinfected?
- How often are floors and carpets cleaned?
- How often are toys disinfected?
Rules for children
- Are there behavior policies and rules in place? If so, what are they?
- How are children disciplined? How is physical aggression handled?
- Are toys from home allowed?
- Record-keeping: Are the children's records kept in a private but easy-to-access place?
- Parent involvement and expectations: Are parents invited to be on committees or on the governing body of the child care center?
For examples of questions to ask, see:
- Cleanliness and Hygiene Standards for Group Child Care Facilities.
- Emergency Procedures for Group Child Care Facilities.
- Food Handling and Preparation in a Child Care Setting.
- Health and Safety Policies in a Child Care Facility.
- Rules of Conduct for Children in a Group Child Care Facility.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||John Pope, MD - Pediatrics|
|Last Revised||September 14, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: September 14, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics|
John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.