- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Hepatitis B: Postvaccination Test for Immunity
A postvaccination test for immunity to the hepatitis B virus (HBV) is recommended only if you:
- Have an impaired immune system. This can be caused by many things, such as infection with HIV or the use of medicines to prevent organ rejection.
- Are older than age 49.
- Received the hepatitis B vaccine in the buttock. (The vaccine is less effective when given in the buttock. It is more effective when given in the upper arm.)
- May come in contact with other people's blood or body fluids as part of your job.
- Are a sex partner of someone with chronic hepatitis B virus infection.
Infants born to mothers who are infected with HBV should be tested at 9 to 15 months of age.
With the exception of infants, a postvaccination test for immunity, when needed, should be done between 1 and 2 months after a person receives the last dose of vaccine.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||W. Thomas London, MD - Hepatology|
|Last Revised||October 29, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 29, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
W. Thomas London, MD - Hepatology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.