- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Infection with the hepatitis D virus (HDV), or delta agent, occurs only in people who are already infected with the hepatitis B virus (HBV).
- HDV infection may make HBV infection more severe.
- In people who have long-term (chronic) HBV infection, HDV infection can make liver disease worse. Or it can cause a person who did not have symptoms before to develop liver problems more rapidly.
- Some people who have hepatitis D also have severe hepatitis B.
- Vaccination(What is a PDF document?) against hepatitis B will also prevent hepatitis D virus infection.
- Hepatitis D virus infection is rare in the United States.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||W. Thomas London, MD - Hepatology|
|Last Revised||October 29, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 29, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
W. Thomas London, MD - Hepatology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.