- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Hip Bursitis or Tendon Injury: Preventing Pain
Bursitis or a tendon injury (tendinopathy) can cause pain at the side of your hip when you rise from a chair and take your first few steps, climb stairs, drive, or lie down with direct pressure on the side of the hip. See a picture of bursitis of the hip.
To prevent and ease hip pain during work, play, or daily activities:
- Reach and stay at a healthy weight.
- Wear well-cushioned shoes, and avoid high heels.
- Walk up and down stairs one at a time, leading with your strong leg when you go up stairs or curbs, and with your weaker or sore leg when you go down.
- Warm up before activities.
- Avoid activities that make one side of the pelvis higher than the other, such as running in only one direction on a track or hiking or doing yard work sideways on a slope. Keep your hips level.
- Sleep on your uninjured side with a pillow between your knees, or on your back with pillows beneath your knees.
- Stretch after an activity, when your muscles are warm.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Kenneth J. Koval, MD - Orthopedic Surgery, Orthopedic Trauma|
|Last Revised||September 27, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: September 27, 2012|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
Kenneth J. Koval, MD - Orthopedic Surgery, Orthopedic Trauma
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.