- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Risk of Sudden Death
Some people who have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy are at high risk for sudden death. If you have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, your doctor will check your risk.
To find out your risk, your doctor will do tests and ask you about your health and family history. Your doctor might check if you:1
- Have had cardiac arrest or ventricular tachycardia in the past.
- Had a close relative who had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and died suddenly.
- Have fainted (syncope).
- Have had low blood pressure during or after exercise.
- Have extreme left ventricle thickness (more than 30 millimeters).
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Rakesh K. Pai, MD, FACC - Cardiology, Electrophysiology|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Robert A. Kloner, MD, PhD - Cardiology|
|Last Revised||July 23, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: July 23, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Rakesh K. Pai, MD, FACC - Cardiology, Electrophysiology|
Robert A. Kloner, MD, PhD - Cardiology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.