- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Illness Patterns in Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia typically follows a predictable pattern, which usually develops within the first 5 years of illness. Before that, psychotic episodes may be difficult to predict. The pattern of illness often stays the same throughout your lifetime, although it can change.
- Some people have only one or two psychotic episodes. Others have psychotic episodes throughout their lives.
- Many people have short relapses. A few have severe symptoms all the time.
- Some people have relapses only during stressful times in their lives.
- Some have more psychotic episodes as they grow older. Some have fewer.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry|
|Last Revised||August 31, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: August 31, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.