- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Infertility: Questions to Ask About Surgery
When considering a surgical infertility treatment, ask:
- About your doctor's experience with microsurgical techniques. Surgery to correct infertility in both men and women often requires specialized training and experience.
- Whether problems can be corrected during laparoscopy. Some problems with a woman's reproductive tract can be corrected during laparoscopic testing on an outpatient basis. Correction requiring conventional abdominal surgery is more risky, requires longer recovery times, and usually is more expensive.
- About your chances of conceiving after surgery. This depends on the specific type of problem being treated as well as other fertility factors such as a woman's age. You must feel comfortable that the risks of surgery are worth the likelihood of becoming pregnant.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Femi Olatunbosun, MB, FRCSC - Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|Last Revised||December 7, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: December 7, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine|
Femi Olatunbosun, MB, FRCSC - Obstetrics and Gynecology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.