- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Rare Complications
Rare complications of inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease) include:
- Problems with blood vessels, such as blood clots (thromboemboli) or inflammation of an artery. These problems are rare but can cause serious complications or even death.
- Scarring of the pancreas.
- Inflammation of the membrane surrounding the heart (pericarditis).
- Inflammation of the blood vessels in the lungs.
- Chronic inflammation of the large airway tubes (bronchi) in the lungs.
- Uncommon forms of anemia related to poor absorption of nutrients from the intestines.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Arvydas D. Vanagunas, MD - Gastroenterology|
|Last Revised||October 8, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 8, 2012|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Arvydas D. Vanagunas, MD - Gastroenterology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.