- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Medicines for Erection Problems: Reactions With Nitrate
Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors, such as sildenafil (for example, Viagra), have revolutionized the treatment of erection problems (erectile dysfunction). But they can cause life-threatening side effects for anyone who also takes nitroglycerin or another medicine containing an organic nitrate. This combination can make your blood pressure fall too low, possibly leading to a stroke, a heart attack, or death. Do not take nitrate-containing medicines up to 24 hours after you take sildenafil (for example, Viagra) or vardenafil (for example, Levitra), or up to 48 hours after you take tadalafil (for example, Cialis).
Medicines that contain organic nitrates include:
- Nitroglycerin (such as Nitro-Dur, Nitrolingual, Nitrostat).
- Isosorbide (such as Dilatrate, Isordil).
- Nitroprusside (such as Nitropress).
- Amyl nitrite or amyl nitrate (sometimes called "poppers"), which are sometimes abused.
Nitrates found in foods are not a danger when taking phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors.
- Erection Problems (Erectile Dysfunction)
- Erection Problems: Should I Take Medicine?
- Phosphodiesterase-5 Inhibitors (PDE-5 Inhibitors) for Erection Problems and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Other Works Consulted
Levine GN, et al. (2012). Sexual activity and cardiovascular disease: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation, 125(8): 1058–1072.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Christopher G. Wood, MD, FACS - Urology, Oncology|
|Last Revised||May 14, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: May 14, 2012|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Christopher G. Wood, MD, FACS - Urology, Oncology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.