- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Medicines That Can Cause Constipation
Many prescription and nonprescription medicines can cause constipation. Examples include:
- Some blood pressure medicines.
- Cold medicines (antihistamines).
- Calcium and iron supplements.
- Narcotic pain medicines.
If you think that the constipation is caused by a medicine:
- For prescription medicines, call the doctor who prescribed it to see whether you or your child should stop taking the medicine or take a different one. An appointment may not be needed.
- For nonprescription medicines, stop using the medicine. Call your doctor if you feel that you or your child still needs to take the medicine.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||David Messenger, MD|
|Last Revised||August 2, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: August 2, 2012|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
David Messenger, MD
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.