- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Multiple Sclerosis: Modifying Your Home
If you have trouble moving around or if you become tired easily because of multiple sclerosis (MS), it may help to make some changes in your home. For instance, it might be helpful to:
- Change the location of furniture so that you can hold on to something as you move around the house.
- Use specially modified chairs that make it easier to sit down and stand up.
- Group the items you use most often, such as reading glasses, keys, and the telephone, in one easy-to-reach place so that you can avoid having to walk long distances to get them.
- Tack down rugs to prevent tripping.
- Put no-slip tape in the tub, or install grab bars.
There are many other changes you can make in the arrangement and furnishings of a home to meet your needs. An occupational therapist can help. Contact the National Multiple Sclerosis Society for other sources of advice and information on adapting your home environment to meet your changing needs.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Barrie J. Hurwitz, MD - Neurology|
|Last Revised||February 15, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: February 15, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Barrie J. Hurwitz, MD - Neurology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.