- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Other Home Treatment Measures for a First-Degree Burn or Sunburn
There is no evidence-based research to support the safety and effectiveness of the following home treatment measures, but they may help relieve your burn symptoms.
- Soak a washcloth in water to make a cool compress.
- Add oatmeal [0.5 cup (120 mL)] or baking soda to a cool water bath.
- Use a moisturizer or light powder to smooth areas where skin rubs against skin to prevent chafing.
- Use calamine lotion for itching.
- Cut a raw potato and spread the juice on the burned skin.
- Use chamomile diluted in warm water or brewed into a tea to sponge on the burned skin.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of lavender essential oil to 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to smooth over the burned skin.
Avoid breaking open any blisters, and watch for any signs of a skin infection while using home treatment measures.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||September 1, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: September 1, 2011|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.