- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Pain Relief for Fibromyalgia
Nondrug methods of relieving pain may be helpful for people with fibromyalgia. These can include:
- Applying heating pads or taking warm baths or showers.
- Gentle massage of painful muscles.
- Regular exercise to help strengthen muscles, which will make them less likely to be injured.
Nonprescription pain relievers are not very helpful for people with fibromyalgia. Small doses of acetaminophen (such as Tylenol), aspirin (such as Bayer), ibuprofen (such as Advil), or naproxen (such as Aleve) may offer short-term relief of muscle pain when your symptoms flare up. Daily long-term use does not seem to be effective.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Karin M. Lindholm, DO - Neurology|
|Last Revised||October 20, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 20, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
Karin M. Lindholm, DO - Neurology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.