- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Pressure Sores: Conditions That Affect Healing
Pressure sores occur most frequently in people who are confined to beds or chairs. In many cases, a person with a pressure sore also has one or more medical conditions that may affect treatment and healing. These conditions include:
- Malnutrition (chronic lack of good nutrition) and dehydration (lack of enough fluid in the body).
- Chronic kidney disease.
- Thyroid disease.
- Heart failure.
- Heart valve disease.
- Blood vessel disease.
- Impaired immune system.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Depression and psychosis.
- Some medications.
- Muscle shortening (contracture) in the main body joints.
- Recent hip fracture.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Margaret Doucette, DO - Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Wound Care, Hyperbaric Medicine|
|Last Revised||February 15, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: February 15, 2011|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Margaret Doucette, DO - Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Wound Care, Hyperbaric Medicine
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.