- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Preventing Foot Problems: Training Techniques
You can help prevent foot injuries and problems.
- Wear good athletic shoes, such as shoes with cushioned soles (especially heels) and good arch support. Physical therapists, orthopedists, podiatrists, and sports medicine health professionals can advise you.
- Buy new shoes every few months, because padding wears out. Also buy new shoes if the tread or heels wear down. The expense is worth preventing ongoing (chronic) foot or ankle problems.
- Be reasonable
in your training:
- Stretch your foot, ankle, and leg muscles before and after exercise.
- Avoid rapidly increasing the number of miles you run, running or training uphill, and running on hard surfaces, such as concrete.
- Avoid excessive sprinting (short, rapid bursts of running).
- Avoid sudden changes in your training program. Gradually increase the amount of exercise you are doing until you reach your training program goals.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||October 1, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 1, 2012|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.