- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Pros and Cons of Eyeglasses
Advantages of eyeglasses
- Most adults, children, and infants can wear glasses.
- Glasses provide accurate and predictable vision correction. Eyeglasses reliably correct your vision to within 0.50 diopter of the desired correction.
- Glasses are less expensive than contact lenses or surgery. They are easier to take care of than contact lenses.
- Glasses are unlikely to cause side effects, because they never touch the eyeball itself.
- Glasses are available everywhere and can be changed easily as your vision changes.
- Glasses can protect your eyes from injury (such as something getting in your eye).
Disadvantages of eyeglasses
- In some types of work (such as firefighting) or in active sports, eyeglasses may be unacceptable (although some athletes may wear prescription goggles during sporting events).
- Some people find glasses inconvenient, uncomfortable, annoying (they tend to fog up in humid or cold environments, for example), or unattractive.
- Eyeglasses can be broken or lost.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Christopher J. Rudnisky, MD, MPH, FRCSC - Ophthalmology|
|Last Revised||October 16, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 16, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
Christopher J. Rudnisky, MD, MPH, FRCSC - Ophthalmology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.