- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Questions About Inguinal Hernia Surgery
If you or your child needs surgery to repair an inguinal hernia, answers to the following questions will help you make the decision that is right for you.
- Ask the surgeon how many hernia repairs he or she has done using the type of surgery you will have. The risk of a hernia coming back is lower with an experienced surgeon.
- Ask whether a synthetic patch will be used to repair your hernia. Patch use is becoming widespread in repairing hernias in adults. A patch may strengthen your abdominal wall, reduce your discomfort after surgery, and reduce the chance that your hernia repair will have to be done again.
- Find out what kind of hernia repair is performed most at the hospital or clinic. If laparoscopy or local anesthesia is being proposed, you will want to know whether the doctor who will be giving the anesthesia (anesthesiologist) and the surgical team are experienced in these areas.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Kenneth Bark, MD - Surgery, Colon and Rectal|
|Last Revised||November 15, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: November 15, 2012|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Kenneth Bark, MD - Surgery, Colon and Rectal
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.